Re: When should we https our mirrors?

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 08:38:33AM +0200, Philipp Kern wrote:
> On 10/24/2016 09:19 AM, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> > ]] Philipp Kern
> >> It's also a little awkward that apt does not tell you which of the SRV
> >> records it picked. (The "and why" is clear: round robin.) I had a short
> >> read earlier today and I had no idea how to even report it without that
> >> information. (Of course I know how to turn on debugging but then it
> >> picked a different one and succeeded.)
> >
> > Even getting the SRV record won't help much, you want to know what IP it
> > resolved to and what headers you got from the backend to uniquely
> > identify problems with a single POP or machine in a POP.
>
> Fair enough. I never saw the current hash sum mismatch output before. I
> suppose it'd be helpful if apt could print more details about the
> machine it fetched it from in there -- if it still has the information,
> which is probably the more tricky part given pluggable transports.

It is tricky, but in the end a transport can send arbitrary deb822 fields
up to the apt process and apt can do whatever with them, so it should be
doable if we know what we have to send up the chain:
SRV hostname + IP we ended up connection to, okay, but what else?

I had a look at the HTTP responses we get from both CDNs, but while
there are perhaps a few interesting fields there, they are different per
CDN…

Answer for: http://deb.debian.org/debian/dists/sid/Release.gpg
| HTTP/1.1 200 OK
| Server: Apache
| Last-Modified: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 03:30:41 GMT
| ETag: "612-53fbc3fde0a18"
| Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 08:58:06 GMT
| Via: 1.1 varnish
| Age: 0
| Connection: keep-alive

Answer for: http://deb.debian.org/debian/dists/sid/Release.gpg
| HTTP/1.1 200 OK
| Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 08:59:15 GMT
| Server: Apache
| Last-Modified: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 03:30:41 GMT
| ETag: "612-53fbc3fde0a18"
| Accept-Ranges: bytes

I would kinda like to avoid encoding the entire answer and sending that
in for display because it would be a lot of noise (and bugreporters will
truncate it if it is too long trying to be helpful), so if people who
actually know what they would need to deal with issues (I don't) would
decide upon a set and report a bug against apt to implement it, we will
see what we can do.

Best regards

David Kalnischkies

P.S.: Fastlys Via response header seems to be important, given that it
is sent twice, but apart from that…