Re: Question of possible APT use, without root access, to use different sources

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 12:52:40PM -0300, Balaco Baco wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have the following situation: a host machine, which I don't have any
> privileged access to.
>
> In this host machine, a virtual environment is run, but it do not have
> Internet access (the host has it).
>
> The host machine runs an OS that I don't fully control. But today it has
> an Ubuntu (it will probably at least stay with a Debian derivative, or
> change for Debian itself, and this can be counted for a longer time).
>
> The virtual machine has a Debian right now, and now we're getting to the
> reason I'm writing to you, the APT Development Team.
>
> I want to install new programs in my virtual Debian. With apt-get I can
> easily install some simpler packages that do not have many uninstalled
> dependencies, or no "hard ones" at all. But yesterday I tried to install
> gcc... and the list of dependencies is longer, so manually installing
> each of them is not really fun.
>
> The aim now is to use the Internet available in the host machine to
> download every package needed. After that, installing them, is easy
> enough for me. But, since I don't have root access to it, I cannot
> change the sources.list (and this would affect many other users, so it
> is a second reason for not doing it). What I want is to configure a
> local sources.list (e.g., similar to ~/.apt/sources.list) and have
> apt-get to download the packages only from repositories in this file.

Use apt-get -o Dir::Etc::sourcelist=<YOUR PATH>

--
Julian Andres Klode  - Debian Developer, Ubuntu Member

See http://wiki.debian.org/JulianAndresKlode and http://jak-linux.org/.

Be friendly, do not top-post, and follow RFC 1855 "Netiquette".
    - If you don't I might ignore you.