Using python-apt to diff two repositories not in sources.list

Hello,

I hope I'm hitting the right mailing list with this question. We have a use case where we want to be able to list the differences between two arbitrary repositories (not necessarily part of the sources.list file).
The initial thought we had was to use the python-apt bindings to handle all the file parsing, but after digging around a bit we didn't find a way to actually download and parse arbitrary repository indices in the python bindings.
Have we missed some way of doing this?
Another comment is that the documentation here: http://apt.alioth.debian.org/python-apt-doc/ is sadly very outdated while still being the only resource we managed to find for the API on the internet. Is it possible to get this updated? It is the first hit when you google for python-apt so it would be good if it was up to date!

Thank you for your work on the packaging system. It is a joy to work with it in general. :)

Best regards,
Mikael Knutsson