Re: How odd.. The sizes didn't match, email apt@packages.debian.org

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 09:07:13PM -0400, Pieter Jacques wrote:
> Attempting to install CMS software via apt-get, which resulted in the
> following, with the instruction to email you.

> apt-get install cms+cmssw+CMSSW_6_2_8
>
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
>   cms+cmssw-tool-conf+27.0-cms cms+cmsswdata+27-cms11
>   cms+cmsswdata-toolfile+2.0-cms11
>   cms+data-FastSimulation-PileUpProducer+V04-05-18-cms
>   cms+cmssw+CMSSW_6_2_8 cms+cmssw-tool-conf+27.0-cms cms+cmsswdata+27-cms11
>   cms+cmsswdata-toolfile+2.0-cms11
>   cms+data-FastSimulation-PileUpProducer+V04-05-18-cms
> 0 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 removed and 1 not upgraded.
> 2.53427e+09,-1.76069e+09
> How odd.. The sizes didn't match, email apt@packages.debian.org

Which version of apt do we talk about here?

I have no idea what this "CMS software" is you are trying to install.
I guess it is some really big proprietary tool packaged by your
facility. Older versions of apt do not have large file support – some
have a 2GB, some a 4GB limit. Newer versions should be free of
this limit, but the packages apt usually deals with aren't even near
these limits usually, so that isn't really regularity tested.

So I guess your options to go forward are:
a) upgrade to a newer version of apt (/Debian)
b) install these packages with dpkg directly (beware, older versions
   might not be LFS safe either)
c) ask the package maintainer to split up the packages so that their
   size is below 2 GB (to be on the safe side).

Best regards

David Kalnischkies