Re: apt-get libsolv

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 5:56 PM, Diarmuid O Briain
<diarmuid.obriain@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was asked as part of a course I am doing to look at DNF/Libsolv as is part
> of the migration path for YUM in Fedora and if Debian based OS apt-get /
> Aptitude needs replacement or adaption to incorporate hawkey/libsolv.
>
> I was wondering what are the thoughts of Debian developers in this ? What is
> the development roadmap for apt-get etc...

Hi,

IIRC, libsolv is relatively RPM specific. It has a hackish debian
backend that might have worked on older Debian systems, but does not
integrate with the existing tools in any official way. In my opinion:
It directly implements file and repository formats rather than
providing a better (and more abstract) interface for package managers
to use where the PM tells libsolv everything it needs to know.

APT has support for external solvers that are more capable (but
slower) than libsolv, such as aspcud. See apt-cudf.

I hope this helps you.
--
Julian Andres Klode  - Debian Developer, Ubuntu Member

See http://wiki.debian.org/JulianAndresKlode and http://jak-linux.org/.