Re: apt-get update hashsum mismatch prevent

On Mon, 26 May 2014, Michael Vogt wrote:

> (1) apt fetches the InRelease file and if during that fetching the
> server updates its indexfiles the subsequent GET for the indexfiles
> will fail with a hashsum mismatch because the InRelease file has the
> hashes of the previous generation of the indexfiles.
>
> (2) apt fetches a new InRelease file but the new indexfiles are not
> updated/mirrored yet. A hashsum mismatch error is found because the
> new InRelease file hashes do not match the old indexfiles.
>

> Problem (2) is of less relevance right now because AIUI our mirror
> scripts updates in multiple steps, i.e. sync pool, sync indexes, sync
> release. But its still worth thinking if this could be simplified.

It'd be nice if this could also work in cases where
 a) an archive behind a given name is provided my more than one host,
    and they are not necessarily strictly in sync.  That is, apt-get
    updates should sill work, even if the servers' mirror runs don't
    switch over individual files such as InRelease at the same time.
 b) apt-get update should work if it faces an archive behind a caching
    infrastructure that, for instance, keeps all files for at least 5
    minutes.

In both of these instances problem (2) can easily appear.