Re: Autoremove triggers

Hi David,

And a big thanks for adding me into Cc:, because I'm really not in the
"deity" list. =)

At Sun, 9 Jun 2013 13:48:50 +0200,
David Kalnischkies wrote:

> Hi Dmitrii,
>
> On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 9:32 AM, Dmitrii Kashin <freehck@gmail.com> wrote:
> > A very interesting discussion have arised in debian-russian list. We
> > are talking about APT::AutoRemove::RecommendsImportant trigger. The
> > problem is there's no documentation for this hook in APT manpages, and
> > we could only find some information about it in aptitude
> > documentation.
>
> Disclaimer: I will start with a fixup of the terms "trigger", "hook" and
> "option".

As I understood your explanation, an option and a hook are some kind
of switch, which influence to the bahavior of a program (in our case -
collection of APT project's programs). But: the difference between
hook and option is that enabling a hook can enable one or more
options. Am I right?

> /usr/share/doc/apt/examples/configure-index.gz
> I am unsure about the usefulness of this file at large as a file
> with a lot of options isn't documentating anything at all beside
> that we have a lot of options …

Agree.

> 'man 5 apt.conf' is the better place to be for an option, but we really
> shouldn't document all options in there either …
> As you see, my answer (without pre-text) is short as I wasn't
> exactly sure what the questions were as while I think I found the
> discussion I can't really read it…

Yes, you have found indeed the right thread in our mailing list. I
think you will not mention if I copy some part of your answer there.

As you cannot read russian, I could try to shortly explain what was
the question initially. One young system administrator have suddenly
decided that it will be a good idea to remove all packages which were
installed as recommended to another packages. And he asked in the
mailing list how to do it using APT. Some people tried to explain him,
that it is NOT a good idea, but he have not listened. Now I dunno
anything about the state of his system.

But during discussion we found out that there are some options in
aptitude RecommendsImportant and SuggestsImportant consisted in
APT::AutoRemove options group, which were described in aptitude
documentation and were not described somewhere in APT manpages. But
theese options worked. So I asked you about their origin. And that's
all.

It was just some kind of interest. And maybe some kind of wishes to
young system administrators, because as you are a mantainer, your
words are more authoritative than mine:

> I *STRONGLY* recommend to _NOT_ change it!

So thank you David for such a complete answer.