Re: To be able to reinstall a package with all its depencencies

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 3:34 PM, Alberto Fuentes
<alberto.fuentes@qindel.com> wrote:
> Right now apt-get install --reinstall only reinstall the current
> package. Does it make sense to reinstall depencencies as well? (maybe
> new ones and remove old ones if it has to upgrade or otherwise)
>
> I know I wanted to do this a couple of times and wondered why you couldn't

Why? Have you a usecase for it you would care to describe?

As far as I see it, the usefulness of --reinstall is very very limited as it
makes only sense in cases I have removed some files of the package manually,
forced dpkg to override files, did a "make install" as root or other such
"silliness" which is not only discouraged to perform, but --reinstall is also
unlikely to fix it if its not a very simple problem.

There is also the problem of what a dependency might be in that context. Just
(pre-)depends or also breaks/conflicts and what about recommends/suggests?
And just first level or whole tree (which easily will end in apt-get
--reinstall world)

Best regards

David Kalnischkies