Re: looking at trimming aptitude times

On Sat, Apr 06, 2013 at 10:05:00AM -0400, nick black wrote:
> howdy, all. i'd like to bring down aptitude times, understanding that a
> rewrite here is out of the question :). this would all be surgical work.
>
> first things first: at least in command-line mode (i.e., outside of
> fullscreen ncurses), could we defer reading package tags until doing so is
> definitely necessary? this would save us a nice chunk on the majority of
> operations, though doing so might be necessary for broader reasons than i
> imagine.

You can run aptitude without that debtags support just fine. I do this, I
do not have the debtags package installed and thus:

$ ls /var/lib/debtags/package-tags
ls: cannot access /var/lib/debtags/package-tags: No such file or directory

On how to implement this loading in a dynamic way, aptitude developers
might be able to help. It's not really on-topic here, though; it might
make more sense for you to discuss this on their mailing list:

	aptitude-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org

--
Julian Andres Klode  - Debian Developer, Ubuntu Member

See http://wiki.debian.org/JulianAndresKlode and http://jak-linux.org/.