Re: Request for inclusion of aptitude-gtk package in upcoming release.

On 2 April 2013 23:40, Rupesh Reddy <rupeshforu3.linux@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sir I have visited list of packages provided in the upcoming release of
> debian I mean wheezy stable and I have not found aptitude-gtk package and so
> I am requesting you to provide the package. The abobe package makes the life
> of debian users happy especially me while installing packages. You can argue
> that already we are providing aptitude command line tool its ok but gui tool
> makes my life happy. You can also argue that why can't you use synaptic then
> my answer is aptitude provides better dependency resolution.

Aptitude provides a powerful visual interface, the GTK+ port has never
had the same features as it.

Aptitude-gtk will not be included in Wheezy.  It has always been an
experimental interface.  During the last cycle it has been neglected
and reached a state where the aptitude maintainers feel it is no
longer responsible to include.  There are numerous issues that make it
unsuitable for use on a Wheezy system.

The aptitude source continues to contain the GTK+ interface, and you
can build it yourself using:

$ ./configure --enable-gtk

but this is not advised if you are not interested in _developing_ it.