Re: RC: unable to initialize frontend:Newt

Hi Guddla Rupesh,

On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 6:52 AM, Guddla Rupesh <rupeshforu3@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sir there are bugs in the packages related to Newt so I am getting
> frequently the error unable to initialize frontend:Newt.

That unfortunately to hear, but you have reached the development mailinglist
of APT while you would be far better of contacting a support mailinglist like
debian-user – which exist in many languages btw. APT has exactly nothing
to do with Newt, so there is nobody here who could help I fear.

> I have tried to reconfigure debconf by the command dpkg-reconfigure debconf
> again I am getting the same error.
>
> After fresh installation I have tried to lock the package linnewt0.52 by the
> command apt-mark hold libnewt0.52 even no use I mean when I issue the
> command dpkg --configure -a I am getting same error.

In the previous mail you sent you included an "error message", but it looked
like you have written it yourself. Please copy error messages as well as
anything before and after that verbatim. If these messages appear in your
local language you might want to prefix your command with
LANG=C
to have english output.

I have quoted "error message" because it doesn't look like a failure to me
what you have written as the last line is
 debconf: falling back to frontend: Noninteractive
which is fine and packages are supposed to work with noninteractive so
I guess there is some "real" error mentioned below that which you haven't
included in your message and is the real problem.

> Please try to suggest how to delete all the packages related to Newt and
> their dependencies from local repositories if not suggest atleast how to
> remove libnewt0.52 from local repositories.

You should be able to remove it just like any other package, but as said
somehow I believe libnewt is not your actual problem, so I wouldn't advice
doing it just yet.

With these general hints I hope you are able to contact the debian-user list
of your choice and work out and fix the problem you have.

Sorry for your inconvenience and best regards

David Kalnischkies