Re: About installing packages

On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 08:30:57AM +0800, Daniel Hartwig wrote:
> On 23 March 2013 01:54, Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:
> > Quoting Rupesh Reddy (rupeshforu3.linux@gmail.com):
> >> Sir I have been user of debian since debian 4.0 (etch) and also worked with
> >> various linux and unix distros. I have bad experience while operating
> >> debian. Installing software on debian based systems is very difficult
> >> compared to rpm based distros like opensuse, fedora etc.,..
> >>
> >> I am greedy towards installing packages on debian I mean I want to install
> >> maximum number of packages available in local repositories without
> >> inconsistency.
>
> This sounds very much like ‘apt-get install .*’, which is straight non-sense.

For upgrade testing purposes I wrote some scripts that essentially
does just that:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~auto-upgrade-testing-dev/auto-upgrade-testing/trunk/view/head:/share/scripts/install_all

Trying to install as many together as possible, first in the cache,
then for real.

When I worked on this ~2 years ago I found that from the ~20k package
it was possible to mark_install ~16k or so (the numbers are not
accurate, just from memory, be warned). When I actuallyed tried to
install this big package set I ran into scalability problems with the
parsing of the dpkg lists files. Unpacking was very slow and it looked
like the bottleneck was the .lists file parsing.

Cheers,
 Michael