Network interface to APT...

Hi,
  I'm interested in building a network interface to apt. Essentially, I
want to make a daemon run on each of my debian computers, and have a
client that can connect to each daemon to check the update status of
each computer. I want to be able to update/install/remove packages
remotely.

  Has anyone started a project like this that you know of? I've searched
the net, but couldn't find anything. If not, what would be a good place
to start learning how to interface with apt? Know of anyone interested
in helping with this kind of project?
--Kevin