Re: Introducing http.debian.net, Debian's mirrors redirector

On Tuesday 26 June 2012 05:15:00 shirish शिरीष wrote:
[...]
> As can be seen pdiffs are generated if you use the same server.

There are _no_ pdiffs for stable. For testing and sid, there are and they are
used even if you use http.d.n.

> > Unless the files really changed, the Last-Modified-Since headers should
> > have prevented the download. Will have to check if they are correctly
> > preserved, it might be that.

I haven't looked at the code, but from a pcap, it seems APT isn't sending
the I-M-S header, even to http.d.n. It does, however, correctly send it for
files such as Release.gpg, even to the redirected host.

APT guys: perhaps someone of you have an idea as to what is happening?
Running apt-get update twice in a row, using http.d.n, and stable, will
result in the Packages file being downloaded both times. Even if unchangeed.

Cheers,
--
Raphael Geissert - Debian Developer
www.debian.org - get.debian.net