Re: Hashsum mismatch prevention strategies

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 11:27:23PM +0200, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> [...]
> Right now I just have a few wishlist points:
>
> - Only *ONE* compression for anything in dists/.
>   To switch to another compression later, a second may be added for the
>   next release, and as soon as that release is out, the old one goes
>   away.[fn:1]
>   The current situation with needlessly doubling the information for
>   years already just sucks.
> [...]

The approx proxy tries to be smart about pdiffs that it serves, and
applies them itself so that it has an up-to-date Packages file for the
next client.

Unfortunately, this means decompressing and recompressing on the fly.
This has been feasible with gzip, but it wouldn't be with xz.  (On my
desktop machine, it takes 1 second to gzip the current wheezy Packages
file, but 15 seconds to xz it.)

This isn't a reason not to switch to xz, just a data point.  If the
switch happens, I'll just disable that "feature" of approx by default.