Is anyone looking at apt bugs affecting cross-dependencies?

This apt bug is blocking a lot of cross-builds low in the stack.
I'm just wondering if it is on anyone's radar and if so how much
work they feel is involved and when it might get done? If not can
someone give me some clue as to which bit of code might be involved
(but I am utterly clueless about apt internals - it's probably eaier
to fix it than explain to me what to look at)

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apt/+bug/970050

Also, considering bootstrapping. I have a noddy patch to make apt
not-complain about the extra headers
(http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=661537 ) but for
apt-get build-dep <package> to do the right thing for bootstrapping it
needs to read Build-Depends-StageN instead of Build-Depends for
<package> then do whatever it normally does. Again, some idea of how
much work this is (hopefully not much, but I could be wrong), and
clues where to look in the code would be very helpful.

There are a couple of other things I want to ask on this subject but
I'm out of time now. More later :-)

Wookey