Re: Installing both 32 and 64 bit versions of a package

Lucas Clemente Vella <lvella@gmail.com> writes:

> For some time I wanted to install the 32bit version of libsdl1.2debian
> in my 64bit Ubuntu system, in order to install zsnes, a 32bit
> application only (written almost entirely in assembly). But if I try
> to do so with 'apt-get install libsdl1.2debian:i386', it will try to
> remove my native libsdl alongside everything that depends on it.
>
> Why I can't have both versions together? It is some design issue of
> APT? Is there some not-so-hackish way to workaround this problem?

Because one of the packages in the dependency tree does not have
Multi-Arch: same or Multi-Arch: foreign set. That package can only be
installed for one architecture. So installing libsdl1.2debian:i386 will
remove libfoo:amd64 (and anything that depends on it) and install
libfoo:i386 in its palce.

You might get a better error message by installing both
libsdl1.2debian:i386 and libsdl1.2debian:amd64 and checking where it
conflicts.

MfG
        Goswin

PS: Now that debian has a multiarch dpkg (in experimental) it becomes
time to do one last ia32-libs upload and then file bugs against all
packages in ia32-libs that aren't MA:same.