Re: libapt-pkg for commercial use

On Wed, Apr 04, 2012 at 08:59:57PM +0200, debian@srv.arnoldbechtoldt.com wrote:
> Dear developers,
>
> I would like to ask you whether I am allowed to use libapt-pkg/
> libapt-inst (c++ lib) for my software,
> which won't be licensed under the GNU GPL (at least in the next 1-2
> years). libapt would be linked dynamically (*.so).
>
> Am I allowed to do this? I'm sorry for not understanding the GPL
> correctly and hope for some replies.

You must license your work in a license compatible to the GPL, so that
it can be distributed under the terms of the GPL. In short, you can use
any license that does not impose more restrictions than the GPL. This
definitely means it must be free software, and effectively GPL.

You should find all information you need at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/.

--
Julian Andres Klode  - Debian Developer, Ubuntu Member

See http://wiki.debian.org/JulianAndresKlode and http://jak-linux.org/.