Re: Need help to troubleshoot automatic updates (stopped downloading packages in one system).

After clearing /var/lib/apt/periodic yesterday that evidently didn't
affect the broken behaviour and apt didn't download the packages.
This is how it looks today:

$ ls -l /var/lib/apt/periodic/
total 0
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Feb 28 07:24 autoclean-stamp

which I think gives a clue (like the state from yesterday) to why it's
not working.
The 'update-stamp' is missing, even though it did run 'apt-get -qq -y
update' before running autoclean. Maybe because the update-stamp isn't
being created (or - before I cleaned the directory - updated) then it
isn't downloading anything.

Please, if anybody knows what I could do to reset APT's settings then tell me.
I'll search in the Debian reference or the like but I don't want to
break it more than it's now.

Thank you.