Re: why is apt 0.8.16~exp12 still in experimental ?

2012/2/19 shirish शिरीष <shirishag75@gmail.com>:

> At this point it seems it just is breaking lot of things.Am I reading
> it right or doing something wrong ?
>
> I know this is not a bug but kind of a flux state (and most probably
> fixed by the time wheezy enters into freeze). I am guessing getting
> this into unstable would mean multiarching all the related tools as
> shown above (IIRC the big move with this version is the multi-arch
> thing).

That is more-or-less the situation.  There are two reasons why a
package remains in experimental, I believe both of these currently
apply to apt at the moment:

1. Changes to the application binary interface (the "ABI") that are
incompatible with programs compiled against an existing version.
Staging these changes in experimental gives other programs a chance to
catch up.

2. New features which require more testing before being considered
suitable for inclusion in the unstable repository.  The behaviour of
these features may also change significantly during their time in
experimental (such as some of the new multiarch changes in dpkg).

If you look at the changelog[1] you can many changes are marked "[ABI
break]".  You can also see there are

Some packages are updated to work with the experimental version
(synaptic, python-apt), others are not.  This is what aptitude is
telling you with the upgrade solution it proposed.  If you want to use
the experimental version of apt then you will need to remove those
packages which are currently incompatible with it.

[1] http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/a/apt/apt_0.8.16~exp12/changelog