Re: partial upgrade from squeeze to wheezy fails

Hi APT team,

Quick puzzle for you.

Adam Heath wrote:

> E: Could not perform immediate configuration on 'perl'. Please see man
> 5 apt.conf under APT::Immediate-Configure for details. (2)
> ==
>
> libc6(wheezy) breaks perl << 5.12.  perl 5.12 depends on libgdm3.
> libgdm3 pre-depends multiarch-support.  multiarch-support depends on
> libc6(wheezy).
>
> This loop can't be broken by apt, so it complains.
>
> An upgrade or dist-upgrade from squeeze to wheezy *does* work.

The dependencies seem right.  I would expect my package manager to
either unpack the new perl or temporarily deconfigure perl in order to
upgrade libc.  perl should not satisfy dependencies until the new
version is configured because the output of "perl -V:libpth" is wrong,
as described at <http://bugs.debian.org/636686>.

But as pointed out at [*], when APT::Immediate-Configure is set,
"apt-get install" just bails out in this situation instead.  Is that a
libc bug, a perl bug, or an apt bug?

[*] http://bugs.debian.org/639290