Re: Multiarch interfaces: print foreign arches, pkgname I/O

Hi,

On Sat, 24 Dec 2011, Guillem Jover wrote:
> * Multi-arch enabled frontends should always use arch qualified names
>   as dpkg input for possibly ambiguous package names, to cleanly support
>   a distinct native architecture between dpkg and frontend, and make
>   possible cross-grading. This means that “M-A: same” need to be always
>   arch-qualified on input to dpkg. Non “M-A: same” foreign arch
>   packages do not need to be arch-qualified, as their usage on dpkg
>   is never ambiguous, there will always be only one installed, but
>   they could get arch-qualified, that should never be a problem.

Yeah, there are cases where it's best to arch-qualify packages... for
example you try to upgrade from a non "M-A: same" to a "M-A: same"
package of another architecture.

I gave the example of the test-suite where we want to be sure that the non
"M-A: same" has really been fully replaced and that dpkg no longer
considers it installed.

> * During an upgrade to a multi-arch dpkg using a multi-arch enabled
>   frontend, the frontend cannot pass over arch-qualified pkgnames
>   to dpkg. It must verify if it can do so first by checking the
>   «dpkg --assert-multi-arch» exit code (as per my previous mail).

I don't know how APT in squeeze behaves but the main problem pointed out
so far is rather that it would use non-arch qualified package to refer to
"M-A: same" packages of the native arch already installed and that dpkg
should not blow up on this.

> If we can agree so far, I'll send my other last part regarding pkgname
> input.

Go ahead ! :-)

Cheers,
--