Re: partial upgrade from squeeze to wheezy fails

On 08/25/2011 12:37 PM, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Hi APT team,
>
> Quick puzzle for you.
>
> Adam Heath wrote:
>
>> E: Could not perform immediate configuration on 'perl'. Please see man
>> 5 apt.conf under APT::Immediate-Configure for details. (2)
>> ==
>>
>> libc6(wheezy) breaks perl << 5.12.  perl 5.12 depends on libgdm3.
>> libgdm3 pre-depends multiarch-support.  multiarch-support depends on
>> libc6(wheezy).
>>
>> This loop can't be broken by apt, so it complains.
>>
>> An upgrade or dist-upgrade from squeeze to wheezy *does* work.
>
> The dependencies seem right.  I would expect my package manager to
> either unpack the new perl or temporarily deconfigure perl in order to
> upgrade libc.  perl should not satisfy dependencies until the new
> version is configured because the output of "perl -V:libpth" is wrong,
> as described at <http://bugs.debian.org/636686>.
>
> But as pointed out at [*], when APT::Immediate-Configure is set,
> "apt-get install" just bails out in this situation instead.  Is that a
> libc bug, a perl bug, or an apt bug?
>
> [*] http://bugs.debian.org/639290

And or remove the Depends: libc6(wheeze) from multiarch-support, and
have that package provide the multiarch-aware ld.so, and dpkg-divert
the one in libc6.

Then have libc6 Replaces: multiarch-support, replacing the diverted-to
ld.so, then undo the diversion.

Or something.