apt-get behavior during upgrade

During the lengthy upgrade from Ubuntu 10.04 -> 10.10 -> 11.04. I
noticed that apt-get could make better use of my time, in that it
stops everything waiting for me to come back and tell it what to do,
and then pickups up doing many other things that I'm not needed for,
and then stops in the middle again waiting for me.  This is
specifically during the setup phase of installing packages, where some
configuration file has changed or where I've edited some configuration
file, and so it wants me to decide what to do.  (I'm happy it doesn't
do the wrong thing and blow away my changes, but I think it could do
it better).

Gentoo got this right, installation and configuration are separate.

Without a whole lot of rewriting, the following approach could make
upgrades less painful.

Change how the 'setup' phase of apt-get works by reordering the queue
and putting the things that require user input at the end of the
queue.  That is reorder the setup queue mid-setup.

I understand that this may have implications for the order of setup,
but I'm certain that upgrades do things in any specific order anyway.

Regards,