Re: sources.list brainstorm

On Sat, 2011-07-02 at 20:40 +0200, David Kalnischkies wrote:

> I know exactly nothing about mirror business, but from my naïve viewpoint
> these two aren't utterly different. 'mirror' method gets currently a list
> of mirrors from the specified source and tries one, if that fails tries the
> next and the next and …
> Ubuntu want to deploy mirrorbrain on the server-side as some things
> really seem to be better decided by the servers (e.g. load balancing).
> I don't see why a "clientbrain" couldn't be added "on the other side".
> But yeah, different topic and i am certainly not the right one for this talk…

Hmm, mirrorbrain looks pretty interesting.

> Yeah sure, but if user A can't enable non-free with $whatever because
> $whatever doesn't support this new format yet the user is either annoyed or
> d-i doesn't implement it as long as a lot of $whatever's have implemented it.
> But why should $whatever implement it if nobody uses it anyway…

Yeah, bootstrapping any format transition is pretty hard.

> dpkg is still struggling to teach other programs that his info-files are a
> no-go and these are "only" internal files nobody should read/write anyway…
> And on this depends MultiArch, not an alternative format for sources.list,
> so i fear even higher resistance if not everybody said 'yes, great!' before
> and also meant it.

Ouch :(

> I didn't mean you directly, sorry.

Ah, I wasn't quite sure if you did mean me.

> I just said it to avoid that anyone gets the impression i would jump
> on that train now as a driver or something. If we have a (frozen)
> spec, why not, if nobody else want to do the patch before i am fine
> with doing it, but until then i treat it the same way as i should have
> treated e.g. "Removing long descriptions from Packages"…

Ok, makes sense.

On the moving long descriptions from packages thing, What is the status
of that? I run Debian on my phone (OpenMoko) and stripping the
descriptions would reduce the time it takes to decompress the packages
file and apt-get update in general.

On that note I would really encourage more splitting of the Packages and
Sources files. I would do it based on purpose; low level stuff needed by
dpkg/apt for dependency resolution etc, stuff needed by users (homepage,
description etc) and other stuff. That would also allow to merge the
upstream metadata stuff into debian/control but not have it shipped in
the Packages/Sources files:

http://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamMetadata

--
bye,