Re: [RFC] Changing APT to pre-depend on ${shlibs:Depends}

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 20:46, Peter Samuelson <peter@p12n.org> wrote:
> Also, what if apt wants to call one of its auxilliary binaries during
> the install/upgrade?  I imagine it's not implemented that way _now_,
> but a Pre-Depends would make such a thing a lot safer if they want it.

In theory this could happen at the time APT implements downloading
and installing packages in parallel - through to be sane it would be
still in order and in working batches (= network failures anyone?).
The "helper" here would be the download methods - but not only the
in-built but also the external ones like apt-transport-https or -debtorrent
or debdelta so these would need to get … what? Also pre-depends?

Seems like method upgrades should be moved out of the parallel
runs and upgraded in the first batch then to avoid really long and
nasty pre-depends trees…

Currently through at the time dpkg is called APT has basically no needs.
Just calling dpkg from time to time and waiting until it is finished.
Hooks and stuff are called before or after the upgrade process, so
lets deal with it then it is a real problem and not a mental exercise…

Best regards

David Kalnischkies