Re: [RFC] Changing APT to pre-depend on ${shlibs:Depends}

On Mi, 2011-04-27 at 14:53 +0200, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I hereby request comments on changing APT to pre-depend on
> ${shlibs:Depends}. The reason is simple:
>
>         When we upload a new version of APT, depending on a newer
>         library version (due to new symbols, whatever), and APT gets
>         unpacked before the library, the system's ability to upgrade is
>         broken, unless you fix it manually via calls to dpkg.
>
> APT is fairly low in the dependency chain, and the dependencies affected
> are libgcc1 and libstdc++6 (in addition to dpkg's pre-depends). As those
> are installed on most systems anyway, pre-depending on them should not
> introduce many problems.

The complete list of pre-depends that we would have is (on amd64):
        libc6 (>= 2.3.4),
        libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1),
        libstdc++6 (>= 4.5),
        zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.2.3)
--
Julian Andres Klode  - Debian Developer, Ubuntu Member

See http://wiki.debian.org/JulianAndresKlode and http://jak-linux.org/.