Re: /var/cache/apt/archives/

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 17:36, PMA <PeterArmstrong@aya.yale.edu> wrote:
> Must the contents of that directory -- a zillion
> .deb files clogging my /var -- be preserved?

No, it doesn't need to be preserved (as everything in /var/cache),
but depending on your usage pattern it can save you bandwidth or
can come in handy if you want to downgrade or to move the files
to another computer without a network connection…

You can use 'apt-get clean' or 'apt-get autoclean' to clean up
this directory. For the difference please have a look at the manpage.

Best regards

David Kalnischkies

P.S.: These kind of questions are better asked on the debian-users
mailinglist (or their localized offsprings), ask.debian.net or alike
as this is more a develer-discussion than user-support list.