Re: [UPLOADED] RFC: The Future of Solving Dependency Problems in APT (SAT, CUDF)

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 05:06:47PM +0100, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> On Di, 2010-12-28 at 16:17 +0100, Pietro Abate wrote:
> >
> > Here there is a description of the encoding used by other solvers :
> > http://mancoosi.org/reports/d4.2.pdf
> >
> > It might be an interesting read.

This is another encoding used by zypp...
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Libzypp_satsolver_basics

They are using minisat (another sat solver) and hardcoding heuristics
to find a good solution in the problem encoding. I'm not sure if they
run the solver multiple times (restart) to refine the solution.

Another interesting encoding is the one used in apt-pbo (there are a
couple of articles on the web, easy to find). This one uses minisat+
(not packaged in debian) that is a pseudo boolean solver built on top of
minisat where you can spacify the optimization function (ex: paranoid,
trendy, etc) along side with the problem encoding.

pietro

--
----