Re: apt-get improvement idea

Mohammad Ebrahim Mohammadi Panah <ebrahim@mohammadi.ir> writes:

> Hi,
> I've got an idea for apt-get, which I discussed in #debian-devel. I want to
> know what you think about it. Also I need your guidance to implement that.
> This is the IRC discussion log:
>
> [16:40] <ebrahim> My idea about APT: let the user add both 'deb http://
> ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ lenny main' and 'deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/
> lenny main', and download packages from both of them concurrently in a
> round-robin manner.

A small add on that might be unrelated but might be fixable along the
way while you change the code anyway.

When I "apt-get source foo" apt will download the dsc, the
diff/debian.tar and orig.tar all from ONE source, the first source that
has the dsc. But assume I have the following sources.list:

deb-src file:///srv/debian sid main
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian sid main

and ftp.d.o has a newer debian version but the same upstream version as
the local mirror. What I would like to happen is that apt fetches the
HUGE orig.tar from the file url and the dsc+diff from the ftp.d.o. It
should see that the orig.tar on both sources is the same file even
though the actual debian version of the source differs.

The same applies when you have an untrusted source and a trusted source
with identical packages. Apt should (possibly) download from the
untrusted source if it can verify the checksum via the trusted source.

MfG
        Goswin