Re: need apt command

Hi,

apt@packages.d.o is a bit wrong here, better would be
deity@lists.d.o - or even better start from your (maybe local)
debian-user list - they will most likely direct you in the
right direction.
See http://lists.debian.org/users.html

2010/5/22  <spezticle.com@gmail.com>:
> apt-get install -d install *package* --reinstall
> there's a trigger i can add to this to not just download and not install
> *package* but also it's dependencies, regardless of what is currently
> installed on my system.
> please let me know the way to do this

unfortunately there is no easy command line switch for this,
but you can trick APT into it:

For convince let us create a new working directory:
mkdir /tmp/apt
cd /tmp/apt

after that we will need a empty file which will serve as dpkg status file
touch status

(depending on your apt version you will need to do now also
mkdir -p /tmp/apt/archives/partial
)

We are ready now to start the trick (it is one line):
apt-get install -d -o Dir::state::status=./status -o
Dir::cache=/tmp/apt *packages*

You can - and should do - all of this as user. Not as root!
You will find all deb files in /tmp/apt/archives then.

Best regards,

David Kalnischkies