Re: Arch specific Packages file contains multiple arch all packages

Hi Kurt,

Kurt Roeckx schrieb:
> It seems that an arch specific Packages file can currently contain
> multiple arch all Packages.  For instance on alpha we have:
> Package: openjdk-6-jre-lib
> Architecture: all
> Source: openjdk-6
> Version: 6b16-1.6.1-2
>
> Package: openjdk-6-jre-lib
> Architecture: all
> Source: openjdk-6
> Version: 6b17~pre3-1
> Conflicts: openjdk-6-jre (<< 6b17~pre3-1), openjdk-6-jre-headless (<< 6b17~pre3-1)
>

> I was under the impression that we wanted:
> - Only 6b16-1.6.1-2 in the Packages file that's specific to an
>   architecture
> - Both 6b16-1.6.1-2 and 6b17~pre3-1 in the Sources file
>
> For the Packages file for the buildds it currently doesn't matter
> if we only have 6b17~pre3-1 or both, but both probably makes most
> sense.
>
> Currently apt can't install things because it tries to use
> 6b17~pre3-1 and there are conflicts against the older arch
> any packages.

as explained in #debian-ftp it is not trivial to change 'dak
generate-filelist' to reference only the 'right' arch all packages in
the (arch specific) Packages file. That is why every arch all package is
included.

Aptitude can resolve such issues with a bit of manual interaction but
apt-get cannot. I am Cc'ing their maintainers because they might want to
improve the tools.

Cheers,
Torsten