Re: APT 0.7.25 scheduled for Monday (2009-12-14)

David Kalnischkies <kalnischkies+debian@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello deity@,
>
> you maybe have already seen some traffic in debian-sid[0] yesterday.
> Michael has switched plans so 0.7.25 is now intended to be a
> non-ABI-breaking Upload [1]. Beside fixing a bunch of small to medium
> bugs the biggest change is the switch of ALL manpage translations
> to po4a, so the next upload maybe drops some manpage translations
> (namely es, it, pl, pt_BR) given that (unfortunately) this manpages
> are rather outdated this is properly a good thing as long as nobody
> has at least reviewed them (some mails to request this should be on
> the way to the last translators and language teams).
> To complete the translation-round i have also called in general for
> translations on debian-i18n, the thread (should start) here:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-i18n/2009/12/msg00020.html
>

> Some changes are still missing from the branch, but will most likely
> included in 0.7.25 - e.g. my rred patchseries and the new https configs.
> The bugreports should be tagged pending if included in debian-sid and
> fixed-upstream if proposed for debian-sid before release, so we can
> actually see again what is unfixed...
>

> Feel free to do what you want now:
> which hopefully includes testing, asking & giving feedback. :)
>

> Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
>
> David "DonKult" Kalnischkies (on behalf of the APT Team)
>

> [1] Note that this upload requires a hack to be not a ABI break,
> as the libraries provided by apt and apt-utils include the ((e)g)libc
> version (jepp, silly. It is a bug and will be fixed with the next ABI break).
> We are working on that (the current included patch is incomplete).
>
> P.S.: The date is not written into stone, it is just a target...

On that note could someone from the apt team please look at

I know it breaks the ABI (since I had to recompile aptitude with the
patch applied) and that probably can't be avoided. So it would be good
to combine this with other ABI breakages.

The patch works for everything I use, which means cdrom urls are
untested, but I don't want to invest time if the patch just gets
ignored and rots in the BTS. If you say the patch is acceptable so far
then I can burn some CD images and test/fix that part too.

MfG
        Goswin