Re: APT branch using CMake and debhelper 7 available

Julian Andres Klode <jak@debian.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I just pushed initial CMake support into a new 'cmake' branch[0]. It
> is not finished yet and misses things like:

Not sure about cmake. Is that something the apt team wants?

>     * Move libapt-pkg and libapt-inst into a libapt-pkg4.8 package.
>       REASON: When they are not shipped in the apt package we can handle
>       ABI breaks more easily without breaking most systems (like requesting
>       removal of python-apt just because it is not recompiled yet).

That is actualy something policy 8.2 requires (MUST directive).

Only issue I see is that if you have multiple libapt-pkgX.Y installed
they will try to use the same /var/cache/apt/pkgcache.bin, which often
changes incompatibily between ABI versions. You probably need to add
a version to the cache files so each X.Y version uses its own.

> Packages using the acquire functionality would have to depend on libapt-pkg4.8
> and apt, as the latter would provide the methods.
>
> I would like to get your comments about the build system, the proposals,
> and receive patches for documentation and translation building.

Looks like you are trying to do 2 things at once: Changing the build
system and splitting the package properly. Always a bad idea to mix 2
issues as then both need to be accepted together.

> Regards,
> Julian
>
> [0] http://bzr.debian.org/loggerhead/apt/apt/cmake/

MfG