Re: apt-get download keep resetting

Hi Oliver D,

> Therefore, I'm actually trying to "apt-get -dy upgrade" and it works,
> except for extra huge
> packages such as the aforementioned two: the download works the first
> night, resumes the second... then resets the third :S .
Sorry, but i can't really understand what you mean with "reset".
Does the connection reset, does apt-get gives up on downloading the file,
does the partly downloaded package suddenly disappear causing a
complete redownload or does happen something totally different?

If it is the second one you maybe want to try the config settings
Acquire::Retries (default = 0)
Acquire::http::Timeout (default = 120)
You can set them with the -o option on the commandline.
Also for a better understanding what happens, you can activate the
setting Debug::Acquire::http to get a more verbose output.

So your command maybe look like this:
apt-get upgrade -dy -o Acquire::Retries=10 -o
Acquire::http::Timeout=1200 -o Debug::Acquire::http=1
(in one line of course)

> The system running the apt-get program in question is Kubuntu 8.04
> Hardy Heron rather than Debian.
The versions in Ubuntu and Debian are more or less the same, so don't
worry to much about that, but next time you should mention the actual
apt version you have installed and copy&paste the exact output apt-get
gives. (If you have a non-english local, you should pretend the command
with LANG=en to use the english local for this command -
it is then easier for others to read/understand what apt here)

Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

David "DonKult" Kalnischkies

P.S.: If it doesn't work you can work around the problem by downloading
the file with your preferred download manager and after that move them to
/var/cache/apt/archives/ - you can get the exact url to the file to download
by using the --print-uris flag.