Re: mmap investigations

Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Daniel Burrows:
>
>>   If you're going to spend time on fixing how apt accesses its files,
>> I personally would suggest eliminating the use of mmap altogether, or
>> maybe seeing if you can mmap just the chunk you need at the time you
>> need it.
>
> By the way, what about using SQLite for storing this data?
No way, I think. Imagine that every access to a variable would do SQLite query
instead of reading sequence of bytes directly from memory.

BTW, I saw apt-rpm on some Fedora system recently. They use SQLite for package
lists. That apt-rpm is so sloooow (at least when reading package lists it
takes dozens of seconds to initialize).

Ukrainian C++ Developer, Debian APT contributor