Re: How do I fix this.

that is because you installed before in the past a package and the installation was interrupted.
you have to type exactly: 'dpkg --configure -a'
and see the messages to see what happens.

But the main problem is no that. I have a lot of years with Debian and sometimes it happens it to mee, i don't know why i can't read the message and i don't know what happens.
It's ver strange, but perhaps we have to change the message to a more clear message, perhaps:

dpkg: please, type: 'dpkg --configure -a' to try resolve the problem.

You're not the only one, a lot of my alumni and me sometimes does the same mistake.