access proxy for apt-get, ISP - howto?

How do I get the apt package system to go through my isp's http access
proxy?

====
BACKGROUND: METROPCS HTTP ACCESS PROXY
I'm trying to get the KUbuntu 7.10 apt system to work properly through
my internet connection. For example, doing an "apt-get update".

Metropcs (my isp) has an http access proxy, which any sw in my computer
wanting to get http must be informed to go through (wap.metropcs.net
port 3128), instead of just sending it's request directly to the net.
Metropcs's routers kill all http trafic directly to the internet, only
letting packets through that make use of the wap.metropcs.net proxy.

My internet connection is through the metropcs cell phone service. I've
got the connection established, and can browse web pages with firefox,
using the settings in firefox:
edit>preferences>advanced>network>connection.settings>manual.proxy.configuration>:
HTTP.Proxy=wap.metropcs.net, port=3128

=====
GOAL: APT THROUGH METROPCS ACCESS PROXY, WHICH IS NOT AN "APT-PROXY"
So, now I want the apt system to work properly, so apt has to be
directed to use the wap.metropcs.net http access proxy.

Note that such an access proxy is NOT an "apt-proxy" (which is a local
proxy which can be set up to cache .deb packages for a local network.
See: ---
apt-proxy - Linux Man Page
apt-proxy is a python program designed to be run as an stand alone
server via twistd, and provides a clean, caching, intelligent proxy for
apt-get, ...
linux.com.hk/penguin/man/8/apt-proxy.html - 9k -
---

=====
APT CONFIGURATION SETTINGS - HOW? - "man apt.conf"
Trying to find the configuration setting to get apt to go through the
wap.metropcs.net access proxy, I located & read the man page for
apt.conf(5).

I see a section "THE ACQUIRE GROUP" with subsection "http" which says:

"HTTP URIs; http::Proxy is the default http proxy to use. It is in the
standard form of http://[[user][:pass]@]host[:port]/. Per host proxies
can also be specified by using the form http::Proxy::<host> with the
special keyword DIRECT meaning to use no proxies. The http_proxy
environment variable will override all settings."

Is this the correct configurations setting?  I've tried several settings
using this, & can't get it to work.

=====
FAILED SETTINGS
In /etc/apt/apt.conf.d there are about 10 configuration files, each file
name starting with two digits then text.  I created a file there
"03metroproxy", and in it put the following lines, one at a time, but
none of these work.

1) Using in 03metroproxy the line:
http::Proxy "http://wap.metropcs.net:3128/";;
gives multiple error messages, one error message for each http apt
source in /etc/apt/sources.list, of the format:
Err http://ppa.launchpad.net gutsy Release.gpg
  Could not connect to ppa.launchpad.net:80 (91.189.90.217). - connect
  (111 Connection refused)

2) Thinking maybe I had the format wrong, I changed the line in
03metropcs to:
http::Proxy::http://wap.metropcs.net:3128/
Which gave just one error
apt-get update
E: Syntax error /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/03metroproxy:3: Extra junk at end of
file

3) I also tried using the "toonel" proxy (client on my box runs in java
sw, which directs http traffic through wap.metropcs.net then through the
toonel proxy; it's main purpose is to compress http traffic for low
bandwith devices like http through cellphone wireless transmission), but
it didn't make any improvement. (www.toonel.net)

=====
YOUR SUGGESTIONS?
Do you know how to get this working???