Re: Installation of Recommends by default on October 1st

Michael Vogt writes...

> As you may be aware of, the latest version of apt in unstable and
> testing supports installing of recommends by default now.

Sorry if I missed something but why is this being done?

Won't this make Depends and Recommends the same?
I guess before Recommends and Suggests were roughly the same, but now you
are changing the default to install more things on the system by default?

For the default case, do we want to err on the side of installing too much
or on the side of installing only what's needed and making people install
the recommends by hand?

Debian has always been about installing only what you need as opposed to
some of the other distros who install a couple CDs worth of stuff by
default. Many aspects of debian depend on this idea, like the fact that
start servers by default rather than use something like RH/SuSE's
"chkconfig" tool.

Again, sorry if I missed a list discussion, I just don't remember this
being discussed.

--
Matt Taggart
taggart@debian.org