apt Name Resolution?

Hi Guys: I'm having a very weird apt-get problem. I don't know that it is a bug. I am running Debian unstable. I run my own DNS, with two copies running simultaneously, one for internal and another for external. I am able to nslookup any domain correctly, so at least my DNS is working ok. I recently moved the machine to a different location and had to hand change the IP address in several places, one of them being my custom DNS set-up.

Now, when I run apt, I am getting name resolution errors and not able to proceed. For example: "Could not resolve...". If I use an IP address in my sources.list then apt works, at least for an ftp target. But, my machine is able to resolve the same domain name (in fact that was how i got the ip address).

So, I'm wondering what does apt do for name resolution that is different? Perhaps if I understand how it is resolving names I cna track down this problem. I'm guessing it is not a problem with apt?

Thanks for any ideas,
--Paul

p.s. I have my domain heavily spam protected. e-mails from debian.org are ok, but anything else might bounce.