Re: apt repository usage

On 4/24/06, Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
> "Brian Eaton" <eaton.lists@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Do you know whether anyone has ever tried to measure the benefits of
> > shipping the patch packages instead of the full packages?  If the
> > development effort would only save 5% of the bandwidth on the apt
> > repository, it probably isn't worth the effort.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Brian
>
> zsync lacks support to look into the data.tar.gz files of a deb (it
> has support for gz files, just not debs). Without that the benefit is
> basicaly 0 as gzip files just differ completly.

OK.  Looks like zsync is close, just not quite all the way there.

I'm going to start e-mailing administrators for the major repository
sites.  Maybe one of them will be willing to share logs.  If this
looks like it could be a major bandwidth saver, I'll start researching
how it could be made to work.

Regards,
Brian