Re: Proposal/Request for Comments: Formally extending package Descriptions to handle bulleted lists.

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 12:01:52AM +0000, Roger Leigh <rleigh@whinlatter.ukfsn.org> was heard to say:

> Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> writes:
>
> >   The attached text is a first draft of a proposed extension to the
> > Description field to explicitly handle bulleted lists.
>
> That's quite a complex document for something I believe should be
> quite simple.
>
> When I use Emacs, it can reflow text (M-q) by looking at the
> indentation level of the following lines.  It can even cope with
> bullets, outdents, indents, etc.  If a frontend display routine could
> handle that, that would solve the problem generically, and would
> handle any level of indentation required.

  The heart of the document describes how to do this in a simple and
precise way.  The first section explains some reasons that it's useful
to recognize bulleted lists, while the last couple sections have
implementation notes and analysis of the impact on current frontends
and Descriptions.

> Specifically regarding bullets: We now have UTF-8 encoded control
> files, so why not simply use the UCS bullet character (U+2022)?

  It might make sense to recognize the Unicode bullet character,
but forcing people to use it is not a good idea for several reasons,
with backwards-compatibility being a major one.

  Daniel