Re: RFC: build apt from the same source for debian and ubuntu

Michael Vogt <michael.vogt@ubuntu.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to ask for comments on the following problem. Apt is
> currently maintained in seperate branches for debian and ubuntu.
>
> The differences between those branches are minimal (just the different
> archive keyring names in apt.postinst and cmdline/apt-key). I would
> like to build both debian and ubuntu packages out of the same source
> to eliminate the need to have different branches at all.

Why have different keyring names at all hardcoded in the package? It
shouldn't be hard to pick out the right one, the ones that exist, on
the fly in postinst and apt-key.

Think about systems that mix Debian and Ubuntu too.

> Attached is a patch that uses lsb_release to figure what patches needs
> to be applied depending on the distro that is used. This adds a
> build-dep to lsb-release to apt (a package with a size of 9kb). What
> do the other apt hackers think about that patch? Any ideas how this
> could be done in a more elegant way?

Gcc has some differences for ubuntuu and debian (different lib path on
amd64) as well and might benefit from a common solution.

> I feel that it's importend for us to build apt out of the same branch
> for both distros, otherwise I afraid that there may be subtle
> differences creeping in over time.

The only difference should be which key gets included in the package
and that key will always differ. Your idea to have the build process
apply different patches depending on lsb_release on the other hand
might make it much easier and more tempting to add subtle
differences. The package source might be identical but the binary
would differ if different patches are applied to actual source files.

So I have a bit of a mixed feeling about this.

> Cheers,
>  Michael

MfG
        Goswin