Re: How to install and upgrade packages offline due to dial-up connection?

Phillip Pi <ant@zimage.com> writes:

> I noticed apt-get update takes forever to download (30+ minutes). Just
> for kicks, I saw many MB to download for apt-get upgrade. It was about
> 255 MB would be 25+ hours nonstop (woah). EarthLink doesn't let me stay
> online more than 24 hours straight per connection session. Also, my
> connection isn't that stable. I am trying to find ways to optimize this
> to make my installation and updates efficient.

There is apt-dupdate (not packaged) that will download only changes in
the Packages file. But you have to use it regulary since only changes
for the last 10 days or so are kept. So this probably isn't for you.

> I do have broadband access, CD burners, and USB Flash drives/sticks (256-
> 512 MB) at work. Is there a way to get all these Debian packages and
> upgrades quickly? I do not and cannot run Debian at work due to heavy
> firewall restrictions (apt-get update and upgrade doesn't work well in
> VMware v4.5.x tests).

mrvn@frosties:~% apt-cache show apt-zip
Package: apt-zip
Version: 0.13.2
 These scripts simplify the process of using dselect and apt on a
 non-networked Debian box, using removable media like ZIP floppies.
 One generates a `fetch' script (supporting backends such as wget and
 lftp, in a modular, extensible way) to be run on a host with better
 connectivity, check space constraints of your removable media, and
 then install the package on your Debian box.
 .
 Note on current version: space-checking is not done and spanning
 multiple disks is not yet supported.

MfG
        Goswin