apt-get weirdness (not directly related to Debian, possibly stupid)

Hi,

  I have a weird problem with a dist-upgrade on a Debian Sarge-based
  system, but with external packages in a customized system (Pluto,
  http://plutohome.com/ ). It's all automatic so I didn't get a chance
  of looking into it deeper, but does anyone know what could cause
  this? (please don't kick me before you read. thanks :) )

  "apt-get -f -y dist-upgrade" output:

---------- cut start ----------

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  pluto-dcerouter pluto-std-plugins pluto-website-admin
  pluto-updatemedia
  ansi2html pluto-app-server pluto-bluetooth-dongle pluto-boot-scripts
  pluto-confirm-dependencies pluto-convert-mac pluto-createdevice
  pluto-database-settings pluto-dcecommon pluto-devel-dependencies
  pluto-dhcpd-plugin pluto-diskless-base pluto-install-scripts pluto-libbd
  pluto-local-database pluto-media-database pluto-messagesend
  pluto-mythtv-backend-proxy pluto-mythtv-player pluto-mythtv-plugin
  pluto-orbiter pluto-orbitergen pluto-orbiterinstaller pluto-pluto-main-db
  pluto-pluto-media-db pluto-pluto-security-db pluto-plutoutils pluto-qos
  pluto-ra pluto-ratpoison pluto-remoteassistance pluto-security-database
  pluto-serializeclass pluto-skins-basic pluto-slimserver-plugin pluto-sqlcvs
  pluto-system-database pluto-updateentarea pluto-videolan-client
  pluto-videolan-plugin pluto-videolan-server pluto-vipshared
  pluto-website-support pluto-windowsce-libraries pluto-xine-player
  pluto-xine-plugin
46 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

---------- cut end ----------

  And just afterwards:

  "apt-get install pluto-dcerouter" output:

---------- cut start ----------

  pluto-std-plugins pluto-website-admin
  pluto-dcerouter pluto-std-plugins pluto-website-admin
0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

---------- cut end ----------

  So, three packages were removed, but when I attempt to install them
  back again there is no complaint. Also, that package that is said to
  be "kept back" actually was a "current version" (i.e. latest).

  The thing is that I can't reproduce this anymore. All I have is from
  the logs. The system that did this had its Debian-provided packages
  upgraded to Sarge one reboot before this. There were no other
  reboots or installed packages between the two steps.

  If you want to take a look into the repository (binaries only, but
  package structure is what matters), use this:

  deb http://deb.plutohome.com/debian/ 20dev main

  WARNING: nothing in there follows what's written in the Debian
  Policy Manual and some of it slightly violates DFSG too. I still
  have to read that, some other package-related docs, about the Debian
  building system and understand them about 90% before I make any
  changes, so that's just a compromise solution for the current build
  system.

  The debian packages used until now are in

  deb http://deb.plutohome.com/debian/ sarge main non-free contrib

  and the are a snapshot of testing since last winter. Plans to
  upgrade the mirror to sarge are under way.

Thanks,
  Radu