Re: Concerns about translation handling

On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 06:59:20AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> I first sent this to Matt privately, but it's probably better here.
>
> Let's try to resume my concerns about APT translations:
>
> -I keep my archive synced with Matt's one

So do I.

> -Just to be sure, I regenerate po/apt-all.pot from time to time
>
> -then I sync the PO files with it
>
> -fr.po, for instance is complete : 479 translated messages

I did a checkout of the current apt@packages.debian.org/apt--main--0
and it contains three fuzzy translations in fr.po. Of course
apt--main--0 was updated since the relase so that may be just normal.

> -apt 0.6.38 is released
>
> -I download the sources, rebuild them
>
> -po/fr.po is : 476translated, 3 fuzzies

Strange enough, when I downloaded the apt-0.6.38 release from the
debian server and did a make update-po I didn't saw any fuzzy strings
in the fr.po file.

> -I resync with Matt again
>
> -I build from that checkout
>
> -fr.po is complete there 479 translated

I have three fuzzy translations in
apt@packages.debian.org/apt--main--0 in fr.po.  After I merged that
branch with your tree I still have 3 fuzzy translations. The same that
you described in your mail.

[..]
> So, it actually seems that Matt's archive is not *exactly* what has been
> released. How could this happen?

We usually do apt releases with "debian/rules arch-build" and that
should ensure that the releases are exactly what is in the archive.

> Michael, do you have a suggestion?

Because I don't see fuzzy strings after (or before) make update-po
from the debian sources I'm not sure what the problem might be.

Cheers,
 Michael