Re: How to install and upgrade packages offline due to dial-up connection?

Phillip,

Seeking for one way to install updates from removable media, I found this thread, that would be very useful to me at home.

But how to install one package without know her dependencies?

One way to do this is using the package apt-rdepends, that show recursively the dependencies of desired packages. For example, if you would install package cyrus21-pop3d, to see who it depends and are not installed:

# apt-rdepends --state-follow=NotInstalled --state-show=NotInstalled cyrus21-pop3d
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
cyrus21-pop3d
   Depends: cyrus21-common (= 2.1.17-3)
cyrus21-common
  Depends: debconf-2.0
  Depends: libsnmp4.2
  Depends: libzephyr3
  Depends: mail-transport-agent
  Depends: postfix
libsnmp4.2
libzephyr3
  Depends: libcomerr-kth-compat
  Depends: libhesiod0
libhesiod0
postfix
  Depends: libgdbmg1
  Depends: postfix-ldap (= 1.1.11-0.woody3)
  Depends: postfix-pcre (= 1.1.11-0.woody3)
libgdbmg1
postfix-ldap
  Depends: postfix (= 1.1.11-0.woody3)
postfix-pcre
  Depends: postfix (= 1.1.11-0.woody3)

So, I need to download this packages to my removable media...

Just to show what cyrus21-pop3d depends and are installed:

# apt-rdepends --state-follow=Installed --state-show=Installed cyrus21-pop3d
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
cyrus21-pop3d
  Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4)
  Depends: libdb3 (>= 3.2.9-20)
  Depends: libsasl2 (>= 2.1.19)
  Depends: libssl0.9.7
  Depends: libwrap0
(...)
libtext-iconv-perl
  Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4)
  Depends: perl-base (>= 5.8.3-2)
libtext-wrapi18n-perl
  Depends: libtext-charwidth-perl
libwrap0
  Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4)

HIH!

Andreyev

PS: sorry for lang mistakes, I still learning it...
PPS: the apt-rdepends does not depends of anyone! :-P
# apt-rdepends --state-follow=NotInstalled --state-show=NotInstalled apt-rdepends
 Reading Package Lists... Done
 Building Dependency Tree... Done
 apt-rdepends