Re: apt using dpkg --command-fd

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Henning Glawe wrote:

> Moin,
> I hacked up apt to use dpkg's (re-enabled) --command-fd option. My
> patched apt now uses a pipe to drive dpkg, avoiding the splits of
> lists leading to broken packages in case of circular dependencies.
>
> I'll clean up the patch and post it if there is any interest.

No.

apt needs to drive dpkg in descreet blocks of packages, and detect errors when
those blocks fail, so it's algo can cope.

There is no such way for dpkg to give this information to apt.

When using --command-fd, and an error occurs(maint script, etc), dpkg will
completely exit; instead, it should return a status code for each command that
was requested(over --command-fd), over some other pipe.