Including package-pool-helper scripts with apt-utils

Hi,

recently, I filed bug #204969 announcing my Intent to Package some
small scripts that I use to manage a small package pool as a package
called package-pool-helper. In the ITP, I made it clear that
package-pool-helper is not as sophisticated than the existing
solutions (full katie, mini-dinstall, debarchiver and the upcoming
debpool), but gets the job done _now_ and can handle package pools.

However, my ITP met significant opposition from senior Debian people,
including ftpmaster, so that I doubt that the work I would spend to
package package-pool-helper would be honored by the Project; I fear
having my package rejected. I ceased working on the Debian package of
package-pool-helper.

In the mean time, some people have asked me to publish my scripts
since they feel the need for a simple, unsophisticated program
handling package pools.

If a dedicated package-pool-helper package won't be accepted by
the Debian project, I would like to have my scripts packaged with an
existing package. Since package-pool-helper uses apt-ftparchive to
build the actual Packages files, apt-utils would be a natural place to
ship my scripts.

I would like to ask the APT Development Team for an indication if you
would be willing to include the scripts ITPed in #204969 in apt-utils,
probably in /usr/share/doc/apt-utils/examples, or if you would prefer
having a dedicaed package-pool-helper package in Debian. In case that
you would be willing to include the scripts with your package, I
would - of course - supply documentation about how to use the scripts.

Please advise asap to allow me to plan. Thank you very much.

Greetings
Marc

Karlsruhe, Germany |  lose things."    Winona Ryder | Fon: *49 721 966 32 15
Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 721 966 31 29