Problems with apt-get

Hallo APT maintainers!

After having used  dpkg -i  for a longer period I returned to
apt-get install,  this time however using an ftp server
(ftp.de.debian.org) different from the previous one.

To my great surprise I got error messages never seen before, the last
lines looking like this:

Reading Package Lists... Error!
E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
E: Error occured while processing xbase-clients (NewVersion1)
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.de.debian.org_debian_\
   dists_woody_main_binary-i386_Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

I use a Pentium II 300MHz with 192 MByte RAM and plenty of swap.

Can you give me a hint what happened?

Thank you,

Vilmar Klemt

v.klemt@t-online.de